This Blog Has Moved to http://www.mtgmetagame.com

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

So Long Super-Block

A lot is changing in the Multiverse; Zendikar spoilers are in full swing and rotation is upon us. This is a terrifying time for the un-savvy (aka: people who have lives) because you have to make decisions about your decks and your collection without knowing what
the future will bring.

I wish I could say that I will be your trusty guide into the future of Magic, but unfortunately my crystal ball is broken and I am still waiting to hear back from Rosewater on that position with WoTC R&D. Luckily for you I wont let these setbacks keep you from mindless “bored-at-work” entertainment. Here’s my take on rotation along with some thoughts on specific cards.

It’s Too Late
Let’s face it, rotation sucks. All of our good cards turn in un-wanted binder decoration and we have to play the trade-with-idiots game to get the stuff we need to play. The trick is to trade/sell all of the playable rotating cards before the last big tournament and then use the money or card that you got to get your new stuff. Well, I hope you did that because it’s too late.

I sense the panic gripping you as I write; all those Thoughtseizes and Cryptic Commands from your binder are flashing before your eyes as they circle down in the flow that is the toilet flushing. Missed opportunities and lost value…. or not.
Extended or Bust
There are a handful of standard staples which will graduate to extended payables. Here is a tip for the savvy trader, look for the guys who is trading these cards dirt cheap (because the suddenly suck now that that are leaving standard) and trade with him. Then when extended season comes, enjoy your toils buy playing with Cryptics that you got for five bucks a piece (true story) or sell / trade the spoils for profit. Either way here is a list of cards that will be making the leap from Standard to Extended.

Bitterblossom - This was seeing play in Doran and even in Dredge sideboards. I expect this to continue to grow in popularity in extended.

Chameleon Colossus - Ever since his debut, Colossus was appearing in extended decks. He will find a home in rock/ elves or maybe even UG Merfolk with Lord of Atlantis (Muhahahah).

Cryptic Command – I think people are finally realizing that this card will actually be good in Extended and most blue decks will be packing a full set.

Demigod of Revenge - All-In-Red dropped this bad boy on turn one last season. I expect to see him popping up in decks that can support him.

Doran, the Siege Tower - It seems like Doran has seen more play in extended than in standard. His price will stay the same give or take a couple of bucks.

Figure of Destiny – Too good not to see any play but I doubt that it will be heavily played.

Glen Elendra Archmage – Extended Fae and Reveillark will use this counterspell-on-a-stick (whatever that means) to hold down the fort.

Thoughtseize – You can expect to see Thoughseize used in conjunction with Duress as the discard package of choice.

Vendilion Clique – This card has always been really good but has never been more than three bucks. It’s been seeing play in UW standard as a four-of and I have seen Extended list suggesting the same number.

Wilt-Leaf Liege - I put this creature in the Demigod/Colossus class, it’s a decent creature that will see moderate play.

Mutavault - I expect to see Elves, Faeries, Goblins and Merfolk rocking the extended scene. Mutavault is a mainstay for any tribal decks especially these four.

Rising Stars
Let’s talk about the future. Yeah, the crystal ball is still broken, but you don’t need one to know that the following cards are going to shape the manascape (yeah, I know that word rocks).

Knight of the Reliquary- I have to laugh at the discussion going on about weather this card will actually be good. This card is good and just got REALLY good. Fetchlands and Landfall are enough to put this card over the top. Not to mention the ability to fetch non-basic utility lands. Did you see that SGC put this on their buy list? Hummm. Wonder why?

Goblin Chieftain - This card will be the glue that sticks the Goblin deck together. The hype of Goblin Instigator is starting to make this card harder to find. I recommend that you pick up your copies soon.

Gargoyle Castle – Mono black control is starting to shape up to be a viable strategy ever MBC deck should have 4 of these to answer Great Sable Stag.

Chalice of the Void - Don’t think about playing extended without four of these in the sideboard. Hypergenesis and other Cascade/ Suspend strategies will be all over the place.

Baneslayer Angel – Yeah it’s not all hype. The card is good and it’s not getting any cheaper. Get on the bus or go home.

Gaurdian Seraph – Yeah the art sucks, but how can a 3/4 Flying Urza’s Armor see no play!? It dies to everything but if it sits then it’s a nightmare for an aggro or burn deck. It nullifies lord affects and becomes totally insane in multiples; prevent 2 damage that would be delt to you from every source your opponent controls - Nice Lightning Bolt, er I mean Lava Dart.

Uril, the Miststalker - His ability is awesome but who cares when you can have a 5/5 for five mana with "Troll Shroud"? Combine this guy with Collossal Might, Behemoth Sledge and Dauntless Escort and you have the makings of a pretty mean deck!

Still Cool
Before I take off for the day I will give a shout out to some rotating cards that are still cool, and still viable in some way.

Hallowed Burial- This card is awesome in EDH, thanks for filling in while wrath was on vacation.

Cloudthresher – Still killing Fae still a freakin 7/7 with Flash and Reach for 6 Mana! This is one of my favorite creatures of all time.

Reveillark – It feels like extended is ready for a strong Reveillark Deck, Eternal Witness, Archmage, Meddling Mage, Avalanche Riders, Momentary Blink – Bring the Pain!

Runed Halo – In the sideboard of my Landstill deck in legacy. Pro- Tarmogoyf anyone?

Gaddock Teeg -This little Kithkin Advisor has always been “better” in extended than in standard. Hopefully there will be less Volcanic Fallouts in his new home of extended.

Reflecting Pool – The Hypergenesis Manabase called, They need you.

That’s it for today. Thanks for reading. I'm reading: So Long Super-BlockTweet this!