This Blog Has Moved to http://www.mtgmetagame.com

Monday, December 21, 2009

Worldwake Is Coming! [Tricks of the Trade]

Spoiler season is starting to gear up. That means that some cards will rise in value based on the spoiler information. The key is getting these cards before spoiler information make them “hot”. This requires looking at the meta and predicting the moves of WotC R&D. Here is a list of cards that I think might appreciate in value with the revealing of the coming two sets.


Goblins
I want the “Little Red Men” to be good in standard and they’re almost there. Hopefully we get the missing pieces in the next couple of sets. Here are a couple of picks that are relatively cheap at the moment.

Warren Instigator – There is currently a tier two goblin deck that is floating around the T2 stratosphere All the deck needs is another really good goblin to make the deck competitive.

Goblin Chieftain – This card is seeing play as a one-of in some Legacy builds of Goblins.  He is the glue that will hold T2 Goblins together. I expect him to see a pump when Goblins becomes competitive.

Siege-Gang Commander – This guy is CHEAP but here is the secret – Nobody knows it! People trade for this guy at 3-5 dollars but you can buy them for less than two bucks each. I doubt that the Commander will see much of a price increase because of the number of times that he has been reprinted, but it’s always good to have a couple kicking around for the people who want to give you five apiece on them.

Allys
I am expecting some strong Ally support in the next two sets. The “mechanic” is very sparse at the moment. I  don’t see wizards leaving it as it is. I would like to see something like an Ally with flash or one who gives your Allys flash (Like a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir for Allys), this is not unreasonable. Another possiblility, one that is more of a pipe dream is the possiblity of Ally lands.

Kabira Evangel - People laugh when I mention this guy but a smart trader knows that you have to be open minded when it comes to cards.  If we only ever bought/ traded for “the good cards” then how would we ever make money? Protection is no Joke and this guy gives all your Allys protection from a color if there is already one in play then you pick two colors.



Turntimber Ranger
– This guy is five power for five mana, which is not bad especially when split between two creatures. If you play this guy in a dedicated Ally deck it’s easy to get more than your mana’s worth.

Cosi's Trickster
– I wanted to mention this guy. I have always liked this guy when he was first spoiled the first thing that came to mind was “Replacement for Wakethrasher in Legacy Folk.” Well guess what, thanks to Sam Black this is exactly what happened. This card has a lot of room to grow especially if Merfolk get support Worldwake.

That's what I've got for now! Thanks for reading.


JM I'm reading: Worldwake Is Coming! [Tricks of the Trade]Tweet this!