This Blog Has Moved to http://www.mtgmetagame.com

Monday, March 29, 2010

Da Jund Killa [Standard]

It has been months since I sat down to actually play type two at a “real” tournament. Over the last couple of weeks I got to play a handful of local type two tournaments and now I know what everyone has been crying about.  Jund is freakin’ everywhere. I don’t want to perpetuate the "Jund vs Skill" argument and I am not here to say that Jund is auto-pilot at its finest (I will let you talk to the 8 year old who made day two at a GP about that one). What I will say is this- the amount of people playing Jund is obnoxious. When you play against the same deck three to four rounds out of five – it really takes the fun out of the game. Now, I am not the kinda of guy to idly complain so I found a way to put the fun back in magic.

I have decided since people are hell-bent on running Jund (for whatever reason: laziness, lack of skill, they can’t read) that from this point on, I will ignore all other decks in the format and get my joy solely from beating the snot out of every Jund deck that I face. Jund pilots, prepare to be dream crushed by my UW Wrecking Machine:

Creatures
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Lodestone Golem
4 Baneslayer Angel

Spells
4 Everflowing Chalice
4 Hindering Light
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Celestial Purge
4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
3 Day of Judgment
1 Martial Coup

Lands
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Celestial Colonnade
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Tectonic Edge
3 Island
5 Plains

Sideboard
4 Kor Firewalker
4 Negate
2 Luminarch Ascension
2 Pithing Needle
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2 Journey To Nowhere

Alright now that you list mongers are satisfied let’s talk about the card choices. If you want to smack Jund around then the first thing is first- we have to say “No” to free spells. Free spells are part of what makes Jund so efficient. Everyone has seen what a Bloodbraid Elf can do to refill an empty board:

Ethersworn Canonist – Now what if that BBE didn’t cascade? This is where the Canonist really shines. Backed up by Hindering Light this card stops Jund in it's tracks.

Lodestone Golem – One Lodestone is enough disruption to take the game but multiples are back breaking. When you combine this with Tectonic Edge and Everflowing Chalice it gives you a strong advantage. Keep in mind Lodestone makes a BBE a five drop non-cascading 3/2 with haste.

Baneslayer Angel – Jund has to kill Loadstone and Canonist to function. This opens up an removal free sky for the Baneslayer to roam.

Everflowing Chalice – This helps you accelerate into your relevant spells. It’s also great for the mise Martial Coup.

Hindering Light – This is a perfect counter measure for Blighting and all of Jund’s non creature spells. This can also protect a Golem or Canonist. Adding Negate after sideboard will make it harder for Jund to gain the tempo that they need to win.

Oblivion Ring- This removes a Thrinax, Garruk or Eldrazi Monument.  It also helps shore up other match-ups. I figure if Chapin’s UW can win with three O-Ring then having four will help make up for the dead purges in the main deck. With Chalice you can accelerate into a quick O-Ring if needed.  You can side two of these out for Negates.

Celestial Purge – Fantastic against an early Leach or a Thrinax. You probably should avoid dropping this on a BBE but you can if necessary.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor – This guy is awesome- But not really against Jund. He can help you recover against Blightning, but probably not worth keeping in after game one.  I side him out for Kor Firewalkers.

Day of Judgment – People say that this is “bad” against Jund. I agree to an extent. If DOJ is your “plan” against Jund, then it’s a bad plan. But in this deck it’s not bad, for mopping up the left-overs. This also helps in the Gx match-up.

Martial Coup – It’s a great card, I wish I could fit two.

The sideboard should be pretty obvious. I would like to make some room for Essence Scatter in the board, since I really don't wanna see Goblin Ruinblaster and Acidic Slime. If you are sick of losing to Jund then sleeve this bad boy up and go split some heads! Thanks for reading.

JM I'm reading: Da Jund Killa [Standard]Tweet this!